Online Security Tips
In this day and age we could all use some tips on how to practice safe online browsing and shopping. Here’s our advice to you in 8 simple points:
1. Beef up that password! When creating accounts online make sure your password is super hard for hackers to crack. So go on, make it long and throw in some CAPS and crazy characters (#$@&!).
2. Keep your private info on the lows! In other words don’t be going around sharing your Credit Card info in an email or on Social Media. That’s a big no no!
3. Practice safe online shopping. Be sure that the sites you use to shop online uses secure technology (don’t worry we do!) A simple way to verify is by making sure that the URL during checkout begins with https and not http – the ‘s’ stands for secure 😉
4. Check your statements. Logon to your online banking periodically to view your electronic credit card statements and ensure that there are no wacky or fraudulent charges. If you do happen to see something out of whack make sure to contact your bank immediately.
5. Subscribe to anti-virus software. Make sure your computers have comprehensive protection from outside threats such as viruses and spam.
6. Shake your head at public computers. If you could avoid it, it’s better to use your own private computer for online shopping. However if you really must use a public one then at the very least be sure to logout logout logout of all your private accounts (did we mention to logout?). Also look out for any creepy onlookers that may be trying to scope out your activities.
7. Use safe Wi-Fi networks. If you’re not using your own Wi-Fi network then try to stick to one that you’re familiar with such as Digicel, etc.
8. Watch out for the phonies! There are many fake businesses and websites out there that try to lure you in. Look out for deals that appear to be to good to be true…usually they are just that! Do a bit of research on the company first before providing any of your personal info and try not to click on shady links or ads that you may be served.
So that’s all folks! If you follow all these points you should be good to go for many safe and happy online shopping experiences.